Nest Feathers and Twine - Formally Artist's Block Studio
Years ago I started this blog with a mindset and goals that I have found have changed direction over time. I am excited to say that this blog has a new name.....Nest Feathers and Twine. I hope you come by and visit often. Feel free to get comfortable and kick off your shoes and join me on this journey of metamorphosis.
Friday, February 24, 2006
o1. You - Off my planet.
2. Not the brightest crayon in the box now, are we?
3. Well, this day was a total waste of makeup.
4. Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.
5. I'm not crazy, I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years.
6. Allow me to introduce my selves.
7. Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.
8. Whatever kind of look you were going for, you missed.
9. I'm just working here until a good fast-food job opens up.
10. I'm trying to imagine you with a personality.
11. Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you weren't asleep.
12. I can't remember if I'm the good twin or the evil one.
13. How many times do I have to flush before you go away?
14. I just want revenge. Is that so wrong?
15. Can I trade this job for what's behind door ..2?
16. Nice perfume. Must you marinate in it?
17. Chaos, panic, and disorder -- my work here is done.
18. Earth is full. Go home.
19. Is it time for your medication or mine?
20. How do I set a laser printer to stun?
21. I'm not tense, just terribly alert.
By all means share with other women in stressful positions. A daywithout a laugh is a wasted day!
THIS IS HYSTERICAL!!!
Little Golden Books that Never Made It:
1. You Are Different and That's Bad
2. The Boy Who Died From Eating All His Vegetables
3. Dad's New Wife Robert
4. Fun four-letter Words to Know and Share
5. Hammers, Screwdrivers and Scissors: An I-Can-Do-It Book
6. The Kids' Guide to Hitchhiking
7. Kathy Was So Bad Her Mom Stopped Loving Her
8. Curious George and the High-Voltage Fence
9. All Cats Go to Hell
10. The Little Sissy Who Snitched
11. Some Kittens Can Fly
12. That's it, I'm Putting You Up for Adoption
13. Grandpa Gets a Casket
14. The Magic World Inside the Abandoned Refrigerator
15. Garfield Gets Feline Leukemia
16. The Pop-Up Book of Human Anatomy
17. Strangers Have the Best Candy
18. Whining, Kicking and Crying to Get Your Way
19. You Were an Accident
20. Things Rich Kids Have, But You Never Will
21. Pop! Goes The Hamster...And Other Great Microwave Games
22. The Man in the Moon Is Actually Satan
23. Your Nightmares Are Real
24. Where Would You Like to Be Buried?
25. Eggs, Toilet Paper, and Your School
26. Why Can't Mr. Fork and Ms. Electrical Outlet Be Friends?
27. Places Where Mommy and Daddy Hide Neat Things
28. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
Wednesday, February 22, 2006
i photo copied the post card.....somethings i have a hard time arting on. by copying the postcards i was able to pick out my favorite front and back to make 1 post card.
i used the gel medium to transfer the flowers on the right side of the top, and the entire side, below.
i have used the gel transfer technique before and became frustrated because you can never get a perfect transfer........one of my many hang-ups that i am learning to get over!
i made an extra for a one on one trade with someone maybe, or ebay......
Sunday, February 19, 2006
this one came out looking like a beautiful sunset! the car is a not so identical twin to the one i put in bev's journal....notice the headlights.......off to art some more......
Wednesday, February 15, 2006
Tuesday, February 14, 2006
we put molly's cute little pink boots on melvyn to watch him walk funny.....money is tight these days, and we needed cheap entertainment.......we joked melvyn would be traumatized wearing 'pink' boots....
Monday, February 13, 2006
where did the time go, how did he grow up so fast.........i just can not believe it.
today we went ahead with our traditional birthday skip school day to go shopping for birthday gifts......he was still a bit sick but you sure can't tell from these pics!
10 years ago i looked into his newborn eyes and saw an old soul......one who had walked this earth many times, he would be my ball of fire.
i was right.....i also guessed he would be the one who would end up tattooed and/or pierced, and so far he has lived up to the pierced part......if it would up to him his diamond looking c.z. bling bling thang would be the size of his head, but he mama made him settle for something a bit more respectable in size. the tattoo thing, thank goodness does not interest him now, and that, if he ever decides to do will have to come after he graduates school. he has a very strong sense of style, but it is his own, and once he does his hair, just like his grandpa, don't touch it! he is one of the most mature 10 year olds you will ever meet. he is a take charge, lets get in there and get it done kid, who is wise beyond his years and you would never guess he inherited my learning disabilities.....
he came home with what is called a green machine. and he also picked out 19 hotwheels to add to his collection, while dad looked to see if there were any missing from his collection! i don't know who is the bigger kid of the two!
this wild boy is also one of the most sensitive and most incredibly sweet boys you will ever meet. he is a snuggler, and is squishy and lovey....
however.....is is also all boy and he loves to get muddy especially on the days when that is the last thing i need, he loves to aggrevate his brother and sister until they are ready to choke him and i am ready to duct tape him to a wall! he can not walk through the house, he has to runjumpbouncehoproll at all times, and when he is tired he drops where he is and it out. he is a practical joker......and some days ugh!
just like his brother and sister he is a unique individual, and just like them he is perfect the way he is, although if he would have been born first there would not have not been a 2nd and 3rd child! my nervous system could not handle it!
Saturday, February 11, 2006
"feed your faith and your fears will starve to death"
" every tomorrow has two handles. we can take hold of it by th handle of anxiety, or by the handle of faith."
"faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
"when you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: there will be something solid to stand on, or you will be taught to fly."
barbara j winter
Friday, February 10, 2006
I have recently take on and confronted a few of my fears.........
- started my own yahoo group.......and have tackled a few problems that have arose! what if no one joined i worried, then after i had to send out an email to lay down the law so we would have no more problems crop up in the future, i feared everyone would leave, think i was mean and horrible, but they didn't, and i have been wonderfully supported.......ahhh sigh of relieve! and a wonderful group of artists have joined!
- applied for membership to MMCA.....that was a huge step in conquering fear.......i am putting myself in the position to be rejected...big time.....i put my app in last sunday at almost midnight, it said i would hear something within 7 days. a day or so later a friend noticed that the site said they were temporarily not taking any more applications........hmmmm did mine just slip in under the wire, or is it sitting in limbo out there maybe to be discovered eons from now and on the 8th day i will check my emails to see still no answer and feel rejected.......i guess i will know the answer to that monday.
- did a demo at redlead back in october, i was terrified, what if i bored everyone to tears, people walked away, BUT everyone loved it, my demo ran a half hour over and everyone stayed! and loved it! yehaa!
- joined two local groups......that was sooo hard to walk into a room where i hardly knew anyone! and drive far away from my home to places i was totally lost!
- FEAR I HAVE TO WORK ON: selling my art..........again another issue with rejection......seeing a pattern here? childhood baggage! i have admitted this to very view people, but i am afraid and not only am i afraid of rejection, but i am also afraid of success! how stupid is that!?!?! i want success sooooo bad, but yet i FEAR it sooooo much.
see the fears of other artists here
4 jobs I've had:
- pizza maker at BIG CHEESE pizza.......my 1st job
- unit secretary for screen print company.....i was laid off because the owner needed to remodel his private work out room
- senior customer sevice agent for insurance company....that is the special name they give you when you do the bosses work but get the janitors pay
- full time mom, keeper of dust bunnies and other assorted duties as required......the best yet!
4 places I've lived:
- all over st louis as a child
- many places in kansas
- north carolina
- saint charles missouri for 17 years, the longest i have lived in 1 place
4 shows I enjoy:
I don't really watch much tv......and rarely sit through a whole show...but when i do it is:
- house........love, love,love this show!
- anything science-y (i am a science geek at heart!)
4 places I've vacationed:
- nags head beach as a child
- else (unless you count an hour in the shower with NO ONE screaming mom on the other side of the door!)
4 websites I visit daily:
- my yahoo group
- friends/ art sisters blogs
- other yahoo groups & blog groups i belong to
- blogs and websites of a few inspiring artists that i don't know
4 favorite foods:
- my morning maple brown sugar oatmeal
- clementines....my new love
- roasted almond granola bars and vanilla yogurt
- COOKIE DOUGH!
4 places I'd rather be right now:
- some place warm and sunny.......i can't take another bleh day!
- at an artsy lock in with friends and art sisters
- on the receiving end of a winning major big bucks lottery ticket ( hey a girl can dream, can't she........)
- oh, this is hard....i am a home body....there is no place like home......
4 bloggers I'm tagging:
ohh.....i will be back in a minute with this one.....i think everyone i know has played.......
YUP, everyone i know of has been tagged..........but if you are reading this and haven't been tagged.....then ha! tag your it! neener neener!
madalyn rose is pouting because i would not let her walk my oldest son to the bus stop!
madalyn and i each with snow covered black coats........
Thursday, February 09, 2006
Wednesday, February 08, 2006
the background is the paper i used in carol's journal that i hand painted. my new love painting my own papers!
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
just under the wire......
it is hard to see but i am in the process of whitening my teeth. the stuff on the strips on my teeth begin to foam.....i feel like i look like a rabid dog!
most people just whiten their teeth because they need it.....for me their is a whole story behind the why........
this is all worth is. last year i was on liquid iron 3 times a day for 8 months trying to get my iron levels back up. i was so anemic the doctors were amazed i was not in unconscience, the doctor was amazed that i was even able to walk into her office. and had the lab check my results 3 times two days in a row. they wanted to stick me in the hospital and transfuse me. i told them as long as i was able to hold my own to save the blood for someone who wasn't doing so well. i was actually up and functioning cleaning house, taking care of 3 kids, and even taking walks at night. i was tired and shakey, and afraid i had suffered another pulmonary embolism .......caused by birth control pills.....you know that pamphlet that comes with the bcp's that you read and say....ehh that happens to other people, not me, especially because i don't smoke.....well, guess what...it happens.
not that i ever,ever,ever want to relive what happened to me 3 years ago, but coming as close as i did to death makes you look at life in a whole new way.....so i do thank GOD for that, and pray i never have to go through a life lesson like that again!
so as i whiten my teeth some reminders of the road in life i have traveled is being washed away...but that is ok, the memory alone is enough i don't need any souveniers.
see other SPT artists here.
Sunday, February 05, 2006
i originally had a whole other plan for what this would become, but then i noticed you could see part of the title of the book (foolish) so i rethought the whole thing.....sometimes you just have to throw out the map and just see where the road takes you, sit back and enjoy the journey! that is what i did with this one, and i am glad i did!
valentine don't B foolish B mine.
i had originally planned to put the words 'you hold the key that opens the door to my heart' but no matter where i positioned the words it just did not look they belonged.......i will leave this alone for a day or so and see. i find that keeps me from boogering something up......i constantly have to tell my muse to take a deep breath and back away from the art........sometimes less is more....sometimes more is just right.....and sometimes a muse with adhd is a baaaaadddd thing!
Friday, February 03, 2006
the background for these atc size papers was one of the good accidents.
i needed a a background for my halloween atcs for a local group, see above photo of finished atc (which by the way is cute, and i normally don't do cute......)
i wanted something to look like the perfect halloween/autumn sky just as the sun was slipping below the horizon, leaving a glowing reminder of its warmth. i grabbed some cardstock, a metal tray and my black and orange pearl-ex/hairspray mix and began to spray first what would be the back of the atc, then flipped it over and sprayed what was to be the front. i was not real excited what the front looked like, so i flipped it back over to the back to try playing some more and was surprised to find what had happened in the process. the accumulation of hairspray and pealex on the tray helped create the patterns as the paper was lifted up! i loved it so much i played around with a few other color combinations! by the end of the day though i was a little sick of the smell of hair spray!
see other studio friday artists here
Thursday, February 02, 2006
Wednesday, February 01, 2006
had to take off the pepto bismol pink shoes to show off the paint job my youngest son did on my toes, he is a typical boy.....almost manly man boy but yet he loves to paint my toenails.....i don't know why, but it is the only time, besides when he is sleeping that he is quiet!
then there are the toe rings......i love them, but my mom told me the day of my dad's funeral that he hated them and she wanted me to remove them. i didn't.
Quote for the moment
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn."
Harriet Beecher Stowe