Nest Feathers and Twine - Formally Artist's Block Studio

The things that make a house a home and the stuff that holds is all together.

Years ago I started this blog with a mindset and goals that I have found have changed direction over time. I am excited to say that this blog has a new name.....Nest Feathers and Twine. I hope you come by and visit often. Feel free to get comfortable and kick off your shoes and join me on this journey of metamorphosis.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Thanks Angelica!

What fun I had this morning!!!! Angelica and I met at an antique store just a couple of miles from my house. Besides art, hitting flea markets, garage sales and antique stores are a favorite on my list of things to do!

We anxiously waited outside for the store to open, it was a bit chilly! Once they opened the doors and let us in and we saw all of the stuff I think we forgot we had even been cold! Within minutes I found a bargain I could not pass up! Something I had been wanting ever since I found out they first existed when reading a Mary E Home Companion a couple of years ago. I found one right after reading about them in her magazine at a little shop my hubby and I visit now and then. The shop owners had just inherited it from a relative. Later I found another one at a flea market, but it was about $100 or so, at that point I figured I would never own one, unless I won the lottery.......I have a collection of several of these, they are all metal. A couple are worth a bit of money.....nothing huge trust me, some are a dime a dozen. This one is a coveted plastic one. Fancy and ornate. It is translucent, kinda green. It reminds me almost of the green after dinner mints, you know the chalky ones that look like little pillows that come in yellow and pink and green. My grandma always had these mints in her house. It was only $30.00! When I looked at the price tag it said 'firm', so I thought, ok I looked at it wrong, it must be 130.00. Just for the heck of it I looked again and it said 30!!!!! On the way home I was in 7th heaven, I kept telling myself just let him (my honey) sleep, you can tell him when he wakes up......but that will be about another 4 hours.....I don't think I can wait that long! I couldn't. I had to wake him just long enough to show him, then I felt guilty for waking him after show-n-tell was over.

So ready to smack me and say just quit rambling and tell me what it is already? Well, probably nothing that exciting to the average person. It is a bird cage. I think it is from the 40's.

Angelica and I walked from booth to booth pointing and telling each other 'look at that!'. A bit later I found an album that held 45's in it many years ago! I saw one in the Wedding book thingy by Somerset awhile back that had been altered/collaged and loved it! Can't wait to play with this one!

Next, Angelica took me to a booth that she has visited before. This booth has tons of pictures, mostly vintage, and emphemera, tons of it. I could have spent a fortune! I could have also spent days looking through all of it! Oh, and there were more buttons in this booth than at a button factory! I think we spent 45 minutes or so at just this one booth. It is probably a good thing we had only a limited amount of time to spend there since we both had other obligations, other wise we would still be there. I picked up a few large buttons, a picture at this booth. I wish I could have just taken it all home! Angelica picked up some goodies here as well. Some were mystery packs of photos, you could only see the first and last, the one's in the middle were to be a surpise.

The drive home was great, it is a beautiful fall day, perfect blue sky, big huge floofy clouds, Elton John on the radio singing Crocodile Rock and the bird cage on the seat next to me.

I had a great time, and can't wait to get together again Angelica! Thanks!

No comments:

Quote for the moment



"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn."

Harriet Beecher Stowe

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed